Design Now: Brian Lucid
50 years from now 2019-2069, there will be so much change, you can already see how much has changed in the last 50 years.
1970: Computer mouse and laser printer were invented
2019: Service Design thrives
We don’t want a plausible future
System level problems need object models public should not lose credibility
Industrial Design → Experiential Design
Progression of economic value
– extract commodities → make goods → deliver sources → stage experiences
The Disciplines of User Experience Design by Dan Saffer and Thomas Gläser, 2013.
- Ghost in the shell – 2018 Weta Workshop
- Need to learn more about Data
- Personalised content and image selection at Netflix – 2017
- Memories of Passerby – Mario
- Data analysis
- Smart Thermometer Kinsa 2018
Smart – mines data to sell you things
“Design is only as ‘human centered’ as the business model allows” – Erika Hall 2018
“The classroom remains the most radical space of possibility in the academy” Bell Hooks 1994
- Take risks
- Do the work – a lot of it
- Be honest – the work, don’t take things personally, lecturers are judging the work in front of them not you.
- Know what we don’t know
- Don’t get distracted
- Be empathetic, kind and professional
- Play to your strengths
Check out Eye on Design.aiga
1. Who’s involved (in the centre)
2. What matters most about your project?
3. What ways are there to achieve your aims?
4. What’s happening? Why?
Pastoral+ group: Week 1
Devote the time, to get this project done, it needs to be done.
1-1 Feedback – Tim Turnidge
- McDonalds numbers
- Ticket #, board now serving
- Pre testing
- Call to book appointments
- state of flow – induce it
- Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
- Graph of flow state
- Different levels of stress
- could need different strategies or things of distraction for each level of stress